Hugo Fonseca, MV, MSc, PhD
• MV: University of Zulia 1991
• MSc: West Virginia University 1998
• PhD: The University of Georgia 2002
Professional Expertise, Interests and Research Areas
• Thirty years of experience as university Professor of Physiology.
• My expertise lies in the area of Reproductive Biotechnologies; with main focus on In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) in cows, especially studying the effect of different growth factors on embryo development.
• Reproductive ultrasound in cows and horses.
• Xenotransplantation of human and cow ovaries.
• I have used IVF settings to study the effects of different antioxidants, mainly Melatonin on the development of bovine embryos.
• New research interests focus on setting in vitro and in vivo vascular models to study the effects of Apelin on reproduction.
• Management skills in the private industry.
Personal Background and Interests
• Venezuelan national, with extended living experiences in the United States, Ecuador and Brazil.
• Enjoy introducing young people into research environments. Successfully graduated master students in Veterinary Medicine and Biology (Major professor and Tutor).
• Interest in learning different languages, at the moment Brazilian Portuguese.
• Interested in the of 12th and 20th century History.
• Enjoy listening to Classical Music (Vivaldi and Bach).
• Cross-country horse riding, fishing and baseball.