The SOM faculty meeting and clinical departmental meetings, held on October 16 and 17, were an excellent opportunity to hear updates from basic sciences and clinical colleagues, despite being held virtually.
The Saturday, October 16 plenary session was an overview of the changes to the school’s administrative structure, with presentations by SOM Dean Dr. Marios Loukas, Dr. Robert Grant, senior associate dean for clinical studies, Dr. Arlette Herry, assistant dean of multicultural affairs, and Dr. Brenda Kirkby, associate dean of accreditation.
The plenary was followed by breakout sessions on subcommittee topics relating to the accreditation self-study. Breakout session topics included:
- Institutional setting and governance;
- Curriculum governance and content;
- Curriculum delivery and structure, and assessment methods and outcomes;
- Academic environment and institutional effectiveness (diversity, learning environment and quality assurance); and
- Faculty affairs and faculty development.
The lively and informative discussions of these sessions were a valuable opportunity for basic sciences faculty, affiliate clinical faculty, and administrators to meet and discuss topics of common interest.
Clinical department meetings were held on Sunday, October 17. Discussion topics included:
- Changes to clerkship assessments
- Comparability across clinical sites within each discipline
- Sub-internships, and
- Standardized evaluation letters.
We look forward to seeing you for the virtual SOM faculty meetings March 4-6, 2022. Please be reminded that all SOM faculty are expected to attend.