THE SPECIALIZED ENGLISH LANGUAGE PROGRAM (SELP)
The Specialized English Language Program (SELP) is a support program designed to help SGU students and faculty develop their language skills. We offer courses, programs, workshops, and individualized sessions in writing, reading, and oral communication.
We also review and provide feedback on written documents such as grant proposals, CVs, personal statements, reports, and research papers.
English for Medicine Pathway (EMP)
Developed by the School of Medicine and the Specialized English Language Program within the Department of Educational Services, EMP is a unique program that allows students to progress in their Preclinical Sciences coursework while concurrently developing the academic and medical English communication skills necessary for success at SGU and beyond. These skills include the development of macro language skills (reading, writing, listening, and speaking) as well as micro communication skills, academic literacy skills, critical thinking, and cultural awareness. These skills can be utilized throughout a student’s medical education andprofessional lifelong learning – leading to success in medical school and ultimately, allowing students to develop into culturally competent clinical practitioners.
This skills and task-based program is tailored to multilingual speakers and offers students the opportunity to interact with authentic materials, investigating and exploring different topics within a scientific and/or medical context. Overall, students will gain confidence in their ability to communicate effectively through the language and culture of medicine.
The Pathway extends the timeline of the first year of Preclinical Sciences by one semester, spreading the academic content of the first year at SGU across three terms instead of two. This allows time for additional English communication coursework to be embedded into the curriculum.
Medical Academic Communication (MAC)
MAC provides support for multilingual medical and veterinary students. MAC focuses on the development of English language skills and helps students develop the communication skills necessary to be a successful student and med/vet practitioner:
- informal and formal medical terminology
- reading efficiency and comprehension for multiple choice tests and medical texts
- relationship-centered communication for the medical interview (doctor-patient interaction)
- professional email communication
- writing patient notes
- advanced reading
Medical Spanish Selective (SCSK 513)
This selective is designed to give oral practice to medical students who anticipate working with Spanish-speaking patients. The course focuses on
- medical terminology
- patient interaction practice
- cultural sensitivity awareness
- basic grammar and sentence structure.
Communication for the Health Professions I and II (PCLN 302, PCLN 303)
These courses are reading and writing intensive programs for preclinical and preveterinary students.
- PCLN 302 develops students’ ability to read, understand, and evaluate research studies; to summarize, paraphrase, and synthesize published work; and to practice organizing and expressing ideas clearly and concisely.
- PCLN 303 develops students’ skills in critical thinking and professional communication, and helps students gain strategies for evaluating and forming arguments.
Graduate Writing Support
This program offers regularly scheduled workshops and individual tutoring and consultations for SGU graduate students who want to improve their academic writing.
CV and Personal Statement Review
SELP instructors offer workshops, written feedback, and individual tutoring to support students with their CVs and personal statements for residency applications.
We offer a number of workshops to students and faculty at SGU
- Decoding multiple choice questions
- APA style and formatting
- Writing a literature review
- Academic writing
- West Indian language and academic English
- Reference management
- Presentation skills
- Writing a CV and personal statement for residency application.
Assistance from SELP instructors is always available. We will meet individually with any student or faculty member, native speaker or non-native speaker of English, to work on any English language skill
- Pronunciation and oral communication
- Writing tutorials
- ESL support
- Individualized support based on your specific needs.
SELP can also create custom workshops and individualized tutoring to suit your needs!