Letter From The Dean
SGU School of Medicine’s Accreditation News
Dear SGU School of Medicine students,
I am excited to share the latest accreditation and recognition news for St. George’s University School of Medicine and our accreditor. Here are the key takeaways:
- SGU School of Medicine has been continuously accredited for decades and provides a reliable path for graduates to pursue residency and licensure in the United States and beyond.
- Our recent re-accreditation by the GMDC, through 2030, enables eligible students to take the USMLE Step exams, participate in the National Residency Matching Program (NRMP), and pursue licensure in the US.
- GMDC has been recognized by WFME, the leading global authority for reviewing medical accreditors, through 2032, and the US DOE’s NCFMEA, enabling US citizens access to US DOE student loans.
- In 2024, ECFMG will require foreign medical schools to have recognized accreditors for its students to be eligible for USMLE Step exams and to pursue residency and licensure“ in the United States. SGU SOM’s accreditor, GMDC, has BOTH WFME and NCFMEA recognition and meets this requirement at least through 2032.
- The New York State Department of Education recently renewed SGU’s approval through 2029, allowing students continued access to clinical training in New York. SGU also has approvals and recognitions from the other US state bodies that are required to allow for clinical training.
SGU School of Medicine has the most licensed physician graduates in the United States, and we remain devoted to maintaining strong compliance with medical accreditation standards, that enables our graduates to practice in all 50 states and elsewhere around the world.
For more information regarding “accreditation basics for students studying at international medical schools,” visit the SGU School of Medicine Accreditations page.
We are confident that SGU SOM is an excellent place to pursue your medical career ambitions.
We wish you great success in the term!
Marios Loukas, MD, PhD
Dean, School of Medicine
Dean of Basic Sciences
Dean of Research
Professor, Anatomical Sciences