MICR 670 Microbiology

The course is designed to focus the student on the clinical presentation of infectious disease, while encompassing the pathogenesis of the causative agent. The learning and examinations are integrative and not compartmentalized.

The microbiology course is comprised of 30% introductory material addressing the bacterial, viral, fungal & parasitic groups, and the remaining 70% is delivered in an organ system framework. The main emphasis of the course is microbial infections within each of the human organ systems with special emphasis on clinical correlates presenting the range of infectious agents.

Laboratory Exercises

Two “hands-on” laboratory sessions are designed to expose students to basic microbiology laboratory techniques for the safe handling and identification of microorganisms.

Small Group Sessions

Six sessions are conducted by clinical tutors to engage critical thinking and reasoning to enable application of the basic science information presented in the course in a clinical manner. Student are placed in groups of 8–9 members, discussing 3–4 clinical vignettes, emphasizing the integration of basic science knowledge with clinical medicine.


Three “in-class” quizzes on current topics in medical microbiology related to each organ system taught. Each quiz is designed to encourage students to read current research/review articles and summarize the content in a manner that will be advantageous to their future.

Both midterm and final examinations cover topics discussed in lectures. The course is specifically designed to enhance clinical integration of the Basic Sciences material. In addition, the exams will are in a USMLE board format to familiarize students with standardized testing methods required by medical licensers and given electronically using Examsoft®.